Dessert for breakfast? Well, this Apple Pie Breakfast Risotto tastes good enough to be dessert, but is actually the perfect start to a cold crispy Fall or Winter day. The slow cooked Arborio rice gives this meal a creamy texture, and the apples and spices make this dish taste just like apple pie. Garnish with your favorite nuts or dried fruit for a solid morning breakfast. We have adapted this recipe from The Gluten-Free Bible published by Publications International, Ltd.
Apple Pie Breakfast Risotto (serves 6)
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 medium baking apples (we used Courtland), chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 cups no-sugar-added apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- your favorite nuts and/or dried fruit to garnish (optional)
1. Coat your crock pot with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add chopped apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cook 3 minutes.
3. Transfer apple mixture to crock pot. Stir in Arborio rice.
4. Top evenly rice mixture with packed brown sugar.
4. Pour in apple juice and vanilla. Cover. Cook on high setting 2 – 2 1/4 hours, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
6. Serve in bowl and garnish with nuts and/or dried fruit. Enjoy!