This Chicken Black Bean Taco with Red Cabbage Slaw recipe is easy to make, ready in just a couple hours using your slow cooker and food processor. Topping the taco with Red Cabbage Slaw, your favorite salsa, and cilantro makes for a fresh, colorful and healthy twist with lots of flavor. WeightWatchers friendly, a serving of three tacos is only 8 PointsPlus and makes for a fun healthy, yet filling, meal. We have adapted this recipe from skinnytaste.com and absolutely love when we have taco night!
Chicken Black Bean Taco with Red Cabbage Slaw (makes 12 tacos, 4 servings)
- 3/4 lb raw boneless skinless chicken tenders or breast
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz can tomatoes with mild green chiles
- 1 + 1/8 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 3/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 one medium red cabbage
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- scallions or cilantro to garnish
- salsa to garnish
- 12 gluten free hard corn taco shells
1. Season chicken with pinch of salt, 1/8 teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon cumin, garlic powder and oregano.
2. Combine beans and tomatoes with green chiles in crock pot. Season with 1 teaspoon chili powder and 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin.
3. Place chicken over beans and tomatoes in crock pot. Cover. Cook on high setting for 2 hours.
4. Before chicken is finished cooking, shred cabbage in food processor. Add vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Warm taco shells according to packaging instructions.
6. Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with two forks. Drain beans and tomatoes in colander and place back into crock pot to keep warm. Stir in shredded chicken.
7. To serve, layer chicken mixture, red cabbage slaw, salsa and cilantro or scallions. You can sprinkle with shredded cheese or sour cream, but we find this recipe is full of flavor without! Enjoy!